Saturday 22 January 2011

Fightback Mum Opens

This blog has been set up following the Riven Vincent case.   Riven has a six year old daughter who is severely disabled.  This week, Riven told her Local Authority (Bristol) that because they were unable to provide additional respite hours for her daughter Celyn, that she was unable to cope and that Celyn should be taken in to care.

I have a severely disabled son.  I live in Berkshire.   On BBC Radio Berkshire this week, this case was highlighted by Andrew Peach on his Breakfast Show.   Lots and lots of us mums spoke on the show about our various situations.

The one word that all of us came back to was FIGHT.   The Fight being what we have to do in order to get the merest basics for our children.   I am not talking about luxuries here, I am talking about feeding apparatus, footwear, chairs, toilet seats etc.

We cannot change the fact that our children are disabled.   We cannot change the amount of money that is available.  But the fighting that we do needs to stop.   That is something that CAN change.

I intend to use this blog to highlight the fighting that I have to do on a weekly basis.   I can promise you that none of it will be exaggerated or fabricated.

I hope that as many mums (dads, carers) of disabled children who feel so inclined will contribute to it.   That way we can really show society what is going on and pressure the service providers into at the very least making it easier for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment